Monday, January 29, 2007

Wading Through the Bible


As a child educated in the Catholic school system, I read the requisite number of Bible stories. Also, in the Christian tradition I accepted everything told to me on faith. Afterall, if "sister said..." then it must certainly be so. As an adult of many decades and now former Catholic, I'm finding I can only remember these tales as folk stories with no continuity nor rhyme nor reason to guide me.

I thus decided this past December to undertake to read the entire Bible during the next year. I've spaced it out into a few lessons a week so it isn't too overwhelming. The trouble I've encountered (no longer having those blessed, infallible nuns at hand) is the questions which come to mind that don't have a reasonable conclusion. Perhaps if another questioning soul should happen upon these humble efforts, we could together find some interesting possibilities. Perhaps you would also like to read along with me. I will post the chapters I'm reading along with pesky questions that have come up. When it isn't so late I'll also add an interesting address where you may download a load of Bibles, devotionals, and other materials for free!!
Cheers, Cheherzad

No comments: